I've Missed too many days

 Wow, where to start?  So much has happened since I last wrote anything regarding my soldier-in-training. He completed The Hammer, all the other field training exercises, and made it through The Forge (around October 23rd).  He became a solider and my momma heart could not have been prouder of this young man.  As it turns out, he called me before I left work that day, so a lot of people got to congratulate him on his accomplishment! (including his elementary school principal, Carrie Gravely)


 Here he is!  PFC C. Lindsey! My BOY!  Family day at Fort Jackson!  I couldn't stop hugging him when he tapped me on the shoulder.  It surprised me so much to turn around and see that young man standing behind me!  He looks so dang cute in his uniform.  Tears just flowed and surprise made me repeat, "My boy, my boy, oh my boy!"

We toured the the fort and walked 5 miles that day.  We went to two museums on base, checked out the PX, and had pizza at Pizza Hut on base.  We sat in the gym and played a few hands of cards.  We said, "Good-bye" and he disappeared into the living quarters until the next morning.




Wednesday, November 8, 2023.  Graduation day!  We met him on the field after the service.  We got to leave base and go around Charlotte, SC.  We ate at a good bar-b-que restaurant and then visited the museum there, too.  We saw some cool contributions from SC to prior wars (Civil, and Viet Nam).  I had never seen a Viet Nam war exhibit before.  

This museum also had a cool telescope from 100 years ago.  They had connected a camera to it and had it programmed to track the sun.  We got to see some cool pictures of our galaxy as well as a picture of another galaxy light years away!  So cool.  

There was also an exhibit of the submarine used during the Civil War.  Christian wanted to see this so badly, how could we say no?  A good time was had by everyone at the museum.  

Sadly, we had to leave our newly minted soldier and return home to Crewe, VA.  It was the longest trip of my life; leaving him and then having to drive over 8 hours to get back home.  We made it home before midnight and then had to go to school and work the next day.  That takes a toll on a person, for sure. 

  

On Thursday, he shipped out to Fort Gregg-Adams (We call it Fort Lee.  It was just renamed the week Christian enlisted).  He go there after 2pm on Thursday, and his text messages were concerning.  He had texted his dad before I had messaged him.  He called us around 8:30 that night and was practically in tears.  He said it was horrible there, like an asylum.  We told him to get some rest and that things always look better at the light of day after you've gotten some rest. 

I called him on Friday afternoon, and we both cried for a minute.  I told him to keep his chin up and keep his sights on Thanksgiving (15 days away).  He's been able to call us almost daily since the got to Gregg-Adams, so that's been good for all of us.


On Friday, November 24, he got to FINALLY come home on a day pass.  What a nightmare that was.  Danny go to the fort by 9:00 AM because Christian said sign-out was 9:30.  Long story short, they had to wait for the drill sergeant to get back from chow before they could get signed out.  So, finally about 11:00, they got to sign out and come to the house.  Christian brought a battle buddy with him, and we were so honored to have this young man join us for Thanksgiving.  I hope this is a new tradition that will be carried out over the years to come.  Joseph Parks (Watts) was a wonderful guest.  He seems like a fine and fun young man.  I hope this friendship lasts a long time. 


This is my last entry to "Boot Camp Momma" because I'm an Army Mom now.  Moving on and up in the world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Got the First Phone Call Today!

Writing Letters

MRE's are Terrible and You Are 9/11