Got the First Phone Call Today!
It's now Sunday, August 27, 2023, and my boy has been gone a week. I've spent most of this weekend cleaning up his room, organizing his things, and take a minute to finally see what kind of person my boy truly is. He's so eclectic. He collects found objects, like shell casings, feathers, and animal skeletal bones. He has save a lot of stuff from NJROTC, Boy Scouts, Cowboy Quick Draw, and Army information. I found a note left from his senior Government teacher which he kept. He's into electronic stuff and guns and explosives (firecrackers). Needless to say, all this sorting and culling and cleaning has been a great distraction from the one thing I want the most... that first phone call.
I had come out to the office to work on lesson plans, and Danny followed me out here. He started watching basic training videos from Fort Jackson. All the while, I am trying to stay focused on the task at hand, my lesson plans. After about an hour of all these shenanigans, my phone rings and it's CHRISTIAN!
Everything stopped. I couldn't contain my emotions. I began to cry almost immediately. He sounded so grown up on the phone. I put him on speaker phone so Danny could hear what he had to say. He was really enjoying his time there. He's going to be held back a week at Processing for two reasons. 1) they don't have pants to fit him yet. They are on the way. 2) there is a backlog of people leaving basic, so his little unit has to wait for space. He said he gets 30 minutes of phone time on Sundays. We spent 22 of them chatting about his experiences. We asked him so many questions and he had so much to tell us. (below is part of the conversation, not in any particular order)
US: What time do you get up in the mornings?
C:It depends. This morning we were up at 3:00.
US: A.M?!
C:Yeah. And everyone was on time for formation this morning so we didn't have to do pushups. I've had fire watch a few times and that went well.
US: What's that?
C: It's where you take an hour watch at night and watch for people leaving to go the the latrine and making sure they come back. Stuff like that.
US: What's one thing that surprised you?
C: The food! It's actually pretty good. On the first night they had crab legs. I didn't get them, I had the chicken and it was dry, but they had crab legs available. There's this electrolyte stuff we have to drink that 's not so great, but it's bearable.
US: Did you have to throw anything out when you got to the fort?
C: No. I checked out ok. No problems there.
US: How's bunk inspection?
C: It's fine. I'm still in processing, so they're a little lax here. The drill sergeants are pretty chill, too.
US: Because you're not in the thick of training yet. We've been watching videos of the stuff you're going to have to do.
C: Oh yeah, when I go through the gas tunnel, they take a video of me coming out that we can buy later.
US: Oh, don't worry, We'll get it for sure. What's been the surprising part this week?
C: There have been blessings at every turn. At one point, everyone had to move bunks, but I didn't have to. It's just been great.
US: Have you made any friends yet?
C: Yeah, it's a great bunch of guys here in my unit. They're awesome.
US: How did the shots go?
C: Fine. It was so quick, I didn't have time to even react. It was only 4. You go down a line and one at a time in each arm. Super fast. It was easy.
US: Is there anything you need us to do for you this week here at home?
C: Naw, I'm good. My pay will be a little short over the first 4 months. (he said his running shoes are $500. I wasn't that shocked, but a little overwhelmed at that figure).
US: Is there anything you want us to pick up for you at the gun show this weekend?
C: If you find live rounds for .45 long colt, that's all I can think of.
US: I've been cleaning up and organizing your room for you. Just trying to make it nice for when you area able to come back home.
C: Thanks!
We chatted some more about his adventures. He sounds so much like a soldier already. We are so very proud of him and can't wait to hear from him next week. Prayers for this young man as he makes his way in this world.
Comments
Post a Comment